Was just reviewing my collection of locos and couldn’t help but wonder how far model railway
technology has come ….
The new Engineering Edition locomotives from ESU – a german manufacturer – based in Ulm, southern
Germany – surely pushes this envelope …..i have not thoroughly tested the loks in real world layout conditions
but whatever little i have run them and seen of them in operation in model railway shows is really
saliva inducing !!!!:-)
some of its key features being :-
- all metal construction giving the lok enough traction and adhesion for reliable power pick up
- AC/DC/DCC compatible
- Loksound ver 4.0 sound decoders with two speakers
- Power capacitor built in to ensure smooth running over dirty track
- Railcom allowing two – way communication with the command station
- Working pantographs on electrics !!
- Impulse smoke generators on diesels
- Brake shoes lighting up due to friction effect on select locos
- Curve sensors allow brake shoe squeals and rail friction sounds on curves and points
- All led lighting
- The pilot cabin is lighted , so is the pilot control panel , other special effect lighting also built in
- Sounds can be customized thanks to the Loksound decoder built in
- 28 function decoder , over load protected
Now if all of that was not enough they have now released a diesel shunter , the V60 / BR360
which is similar to our WDS shunters .
This model has the smallest bell motor in the world , has sound , a capacitor , a smoke generator ,
special FX lighting , squeals on curves and to top it all – an automatic uncoupler !!
I wonder though if i can adapt it to a kadee coupler …. probably not 🙁
this is a new item for 2013 and supplies are limited ….. i have ordered mine but don’t expect to get it
before years end …..